Saturday, February 3, 2007

Help Buy Shoes for Afghan Kids

Here's an excerpt from a recent blog post by Corporal Larkin:

"I was handing out several pairs of shoes that my wife sent me. Bayleigh was highly disappointed to see other kids with her shoes from 2 years ago but she will one day realize that it was a good thing.

"I just can’t stand seeing these kids without shoes and without something on their head when its 10 degrees outside. I was standing beside the pharmacy and watching the kids follow right along side their mother or their brothers and sisters. Looking at some of the 7 year old girls carrying their year old brother on their back walking through the snow and mud like it’s a paved road. I looked down at one maybe 6 year old girl and saw her shoes with a split down the back because she outgrew them and instead of buying a new pair they just cut the back out of them so she can continue to wear them.

"Ricky told me a pair of the sandals cost around .50 cents and a pair of rain boots are just a little over a $1.00..So here is my proposition!! I know some people will be a little leery of this idea or just think its ridiculous but I want to do this for these kids and try to make as much of a difference as I can while I’m here. I’m giving Ricky $100.00 to buy 100 pairs of rain boots, different sizes and colors.

"Here is what I want you to do if you can and if you will. If you will send me a check money order or whatever to my address over here in Afghanistan and we will put it into our Afghan Children’s Fund for Shoes. It can be $1.00 or $20.00 or whatever you want I just want to see what we can do.

"People have already sent me clothes, school supplies, and a few pairs of shoes so I want to see if we can get some money into this poor country and get some shoes on these kids’ feet. I will make sure you get a receipt for tax purposes or just for proof, that’s what your money is being used for.

"I’m not begging or asking for hand outs for people who don’t need it but these people do need it. I wish I could let you see first hand, live and in color just what I see every time I go outside. I can just show you with pictures what I see and what we do and how tough it is to see this everyday. I mean the mortality rate is one of the highest in the world considering this is the 3rd poorest country in the World. So if I can keep a hundred kids feet dry during the winter with $100.00 than maybe I can keep half of them from losing toes or even their feet from frostbite than maybe I’ve done some good.

"I’m just asking for a little help from the people who read this and haven’t helped out already. I just want to make a change for as many kids as I can, and hopefully some of you feel the same out there as I do....

"50 cents = 1 pair of sandals
$1.00 = 1 pair of rain boots

"Michael T. Larkin
41 BCT HHC 1-180 SECFOR
Camp Phoenix, AF
APO, AE 09320

"Make Checks Payable to:Michael Larkin or The Afghan Children’s Fund

"Thanks for your help and please remember you don’t only help out these kids but you are also helping save soldiers lives."

No comments: